How to Measure and Install Your Window Shades Yourself
1. Decide if you want an inside mount or outside mount.
- The window shade would be mounted within the window frame.
- A minimum of 3/4″ depth is required for a secure mount.
- 3″ minimum depth is required if you would like a flush mount.
- If your window frame don’t meet these requirements, please choose an outside mount.
- The sun solar shade would be mounted to the wall, ceiling or molding surrounding the window.
- Outside mount is a good option if you don’t have enough depth for an inside mount.
- Outside mount is good if you are trying to hide a less attractive window, door or frame.
2. How to measure for each mounting option:
- Measure the inside width at the top of the window and deduct 1/4″ from the measurement. (See picture below)
- Measure the height at the left, right and middle. The longest of the 3 measurements will be the length of your sun solar shade.
Please note the fabric for the roller sun solar shades will be 1¼” narrower than your ordering width. This is to allow for the brackets. If the light gap is a concern, we recommend going with an outside mount.
- Measure the desired width of the area you would like to cover. You may wish to add 1-2″ to the measurement to cut down on the light seepage on the sides. This would add 1/2″ – 1″ on each side. This is your ordering width. (See picture below)
- Measure the height of the area you would like to cover. This is your ordering length.
Please note the fabric will be 1 1/4″ narrower than the measurement you provide to allow for the brackets. If you need the fabric to cover a specific width, please add at least 1 1/4″ to your measurements. If you would like to receive a free quote, please fill out our form on the right.
Common Tags: window shades